Well, let's see how this goes. Thanks to Alice we not only have a blog, we have some postings. And she is correct in all that she reports. An addition: Dannevirke is between Palmerston North and Napier on the map - on the North island. We are in a valley with a range of mountains to the west and some pretty high hills between us and the Pacific Ocean. There are lots of sheep and cattle farms, and yes, we are staying in a quaint cottage on a working dairy farm. We are awakened each morning by a rooster and 3 braying donkeys. We have been offered raw milk and cream - but we declined and are buying 1% milk in town. We will be here until mid-March and after a couple of weeks of holiday - where is yet to be determined - will relocate to near Christchurch on the South island.
Dannevirke is a small (3-4,000) people. The health clinic serves about 20,000, I think. Jay is adjusting nicely - enjoys the patients and the staff. Folks are very friendly and welcoming. He has finished his first week - consisting of 3 1/2 days and a 4 day weekend, as Alice mentioned. This week he is working in an outlying clinic in Piahatua. (This is a Maori name - most small towns have Maori names which I cannot pronounce, but am working on), Tomorrow I will go with him and meet someone from Palmerston North who works for the Diocese of Wellington and is in charge of discernment. This will be the third meeting I have had, each time with someone different. Our Bishop from So, VA. sent a letter of introduction to bishops over here so we might share ideas and information on discernment and the ordination process. It has been interesting and hopefully will be helpful to all of us.
Following my meeting, I will take a 4 hour "tramp" over a gorge trek. Meaning, I will hike a gorge trail that is supposedly quite impressive. I have riden through the gorge and it is amazing, Will take pictures and try to ge tthem on this blog. Once I figure out how to put pictures up, I add some from our travels.
I apologize to those of you for whom much of this is repeat. We have a private group on Facebook, but a number of our friends are not on Facebook, so we may let this be our primary site. We would love to hear from you on this blog if you have something to add. You may even know how to add pictures!!
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to go, Mom! You are officially a blogger.
ReplyDeleteYour wake-up call almost makes me think I'm back in Earls - except I heard roosters and beef cattle. It sounds as though you're really having fun and experienceing a lot of new things. Can you believe I used to drink that raw milk everyday and had a difficult time getting used to "store bought" milk when we no longer had a cow. Hope your walk was a good one and you didn't fall off a mountain or anything.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the great information-picture of your life there. It will be culture shock for you to come back to tons of people and city life- so enjoy-----We are still freezing in Atlanta with the promise of more snow next Tuesday. Our Lenten services are all helpful and special...Fridaynight is a Hymn Sing with a visiting out of town leader. The girls loved Valentine celebration - Chinese New Year and now want Easter toget here . Lynn has not heard from her big paper yet....and I am still working on getting a family reunuon this summer. I am eager to hear more about the local color there.. We miss you. Grace and Peace - Love you. Anne, Lynn and girls.
ReplyDelete