Friday, January 29, 2010

Manawatu Gorge

Friday, 29 January, 2010


This week Jay is working in a rural clinic in Piahatua,  about 45 minutes south of Dannevirke.  On Wednesday I dropped him off and met a woman who is an Anglican priest and is in charge of discernment for the Diocese of Wellington.  She is a delightful person,  and  over lunch we shared ideas about the ordination process in each of our dioceses.  She is from a city, Palmerston North, on the other side of the Manawatu Gorge.  After lunch, we left my car at this end of the gorge and she dropped me off on the other end so I could tramp (that's "hike" in the US) back.  The sign at the head of the "track" (that's "trail" in US) said it was about a 4 hour tramp,  I think they meant 40 miles!!  The picture above is from the first lookout as I tramped up toward the top.   It was quite steep - lots of switchbacks.   My hips screamed on the way up and my knees screamed on the way down.  I think my chronological age and my mental age need to have a "come to Jesus" talk.  I am not as fit as I thought I was.  Along the ridges at the top of the gorge at wind turbine farms.  One farm has 55 turbines and turbines of that size (not sure how they size them other than height) will supply energy to 45,000 homes!!  That is impressive. 
(I was hoping to post the pictures between the paragraphs as I write, but I am still working on this picture thing). 

When I got to the top of the ridge, I was about 1/2 a football field from the base of one of the turbines.  It was amazing to see and to hear.  The sound was kind of a whoosing of the wind as the blades turned.




Yaaa!  I did it.  Aren't they impressive,  I was glad to sit and stare for a spell.  How about that sky and those clouds? 

I did make it to the top and began to work my way down.  One last look at the gorge below.  No wonder my body ached - look how far down that is!!



I finished the track in 3 1/2 hours - not bad for an old, out of shape mountain woman.  Tylenol later helped. and one last picture to prove these are not post cards and to prove to myself that I have finally got the hang of this blog/picture stuff -



Now that I have the hang of this blog stuff, I will find someother things/tales, trips, etc. to share with you.  By the way, for those of you who wanted to make comments on the blog and could not, Alice says you have to sign in - upper right hand of the blog site - I used my email and a password. 
It is weird to know that I am writing this on Friday and you may be reading it yesterday!! 
'Ave a good day, matie!!  Hugs to all!

4 comments:

  1. You did it! I'm so proud of you for blogging, and for that amazing-looking hike! I was a bit concerned that you did it alone (what if something had happened to you!), but am glad you could enjoy the journey. Yee haw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I am TRULY impressed! What beautiful pictures. Sounds like it's a wonderful adventure thus far. We're preparing for another snow ~ probably 6+" by Sun. a.m. which may make it a tad difficult to fly out to Memphis early Sunday. .. .we'll see. Thanks to you both for the wonderful blog postings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience! I kind of share Alice's concern for you doing that hike by yourself - glad you came theough it with no major hurts. Guss that up and down trekking is more physical than walking around Stony Point!Your pictures are wonderful. We had another meeting at St. M on Sunday with Karen but I'm not sure anything is going forward very much. Annual meeting is planned for this Sunday but may be postponed because of weather. Will report on it later. Miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Bev, I share the concerns of family and friends: be careful about doing stuff "solo" (applies to just about everything we do, actually). I wondered what kind of "track" there is because the photo suggests SERIOUS bush country! All said, I am impressed. You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete