So, I took a field trip and went to visit her, This is her tiny shed where she keeps and sells her wool, Her name is Kim and she is with her dog, Holly, who is the official, friendly greeter. Kim was very gracious and shared a lot with me about alpaca wool and introduced me to her alpaca. Sorry I don't remember their names,but they are really quite friendly.
The daughter-in-law of our innkeeper is a knitter and she put me on to the place to get good quality wool. She orders it online, which I have never done. I like to touch it and see the true color - at least so far. The Wool Company where she orders it is about 2 hours from here. They are wool brokers and process the wool and sell it from their "factory" and thru catalogues. Their best wool is merino and it is most often mixed with possum wool. As I have shared with some of you, the possum here are less ugly than the ones in the US and have very soft, wool that is quite warm. Hmmm, maybe Kim is right about the "eechy" part since mixing the merino wool with possum makes it much softer. For those of you freaking out about the possum - which includes me - I have a picture and some info for you.
We originally learned about the possum while on a trip to Hawke Bay (more on that trip later - stay tuned) at a place called Possum World. Can you imagine - a place that focuses entirely on possum? I admit they aren't as ugly as the ones in the US, but really!! Well, anyway, the fur is very soft. L ast weekend as we were traveling north, we just happened to go right by The Wool Company. Honestly, we did not go out of our way and did not plan this trip to be there, but here we were!!! I did purchase some of the merino/possum blend wool. Have not started anything yet with my purchases, but looking forward to doing so. The research and shopping have been great fun!!
Ahh, three bags full - well, not quite, only one!
You are truly living in another world and it sounds heavenly. You may never want to come back to Bon air with all the man-made noise and commercialism!
ReplyDeleteInformation-you-may-never-want-to-know-or-need: up in Northumberland County (on the Chesapeake Bay), there are very few short "i's" in pronunciation. Itchy there is also "eechy" and fish is "feesh"....now a linguist would say that somehow the people who settled "down under" came from the same location in UK as those who found themselves on the Northern Neck of Virginia, as traced by their pronunciation habits (isogloss). See, it is absolutely non-essential info, but on Shrove Tuesday as I am contemplating the deep purple (no flowers, minor key hymns) of Lent, it's comforting to remember my VCU (and your) grad school days.
ReplyDelete